If you intend to have a spray tan, read this article first and be guided with several spray tan tips to ensure you’ll land on a perfect tan finish. The article will dicuss the things you should do before, during, and after your spray tanning.
Before Spray Tanning
There are certain things you should do and avoid doing prior to submitting to a spray tan. What you do at this point will have a huge impact on the spray tanning results. Check out these reminders:
- Exfoliate. The basic ingredient of tanning sprays is dihydroxyacetone (DHA). This darkens the skin temporarily by reacting to the amino acids in the dead skin cells. This very fact gives you the more need to exfoliate. If you have patches of dry skin during the tanning process, you will have an uneven and a blotchy coloring. This is not to mention yet that your tan will not last long enough. Hence, it is advised that you exfoliate your whole body with a scrub or loofah the day before your appointment. The better you exfoliate your skin prior to tanning, the better the results will become.
- Wax or shave. Do you need to wax or shave? Do it before the session. Both waxing and shaving can remove the dead skin cells on the skin. If you do this when you already have your fake tan, your tan will more likely fade more quickly. However, having hairs on the skin won’t affect the quality of the tan. If you can stand having hairs on your legs for example, you may not need to shave or wax after all.
The Day of the Spray Tanning
Here’s what you have to keep in mind on the day of your spray tan session:
- Wear loose or dark clothing to the salon. What do you have to wear for the day? This is one of the most commonly-asked spray tanning questions of interested people nowadays? The bronzer can stain your clothing so wear a loose shirt or wear something that is dark-colored.
- Avoid wearing certain products like makeup, perfume, and deodorant. Cosmetics may react to the spray tanning solution, which can in fact turn your skin to a green color. Hence, do yourself a favor of avoiding these products just for the day of the session.
After The Spray Tanning
What you do after the spray tanning session has a lot to do with how long the tan will last on your skin. Preserving the tan for a longer period of time means you have to follow these tips:
- Do not shower as soon as you are out of the spray tanning booth. Leave the tan for at least five hours.
- Avoid contact with certain things that you cannot afford to get stained right after being tanned. This includes pillows, beds, sofas, carpets, and the like.
- If you are tanned with a clear solution, you go to bed directly without showering as the new tan will not stain your bed. On the other hand, if you are tanned using a bronzer, make an effort to take a shower before bed or you’ll wake up in stained sheets.
- Don’t sweat. Exercising and engaging in serious activities after spray tanning is not advisable. Sweating will only make the fake tan run, especially if done just hours after the spray tanning session. Hence, as much as possible, cool off at home after a spray tanning session.
- Use a tan extender. The salon may recommend you to use a tan extender to help you preserve your tan longer. Follow the instructions as prescribed by the expert or as indicated in the tan extender.